Your E-mail:
Get the latest news, tips and
free advice every month
Horse Breeds at

My Horse Profile

Paint Horse from Deerfield, OH

SASSY*Thanks for HOTD*

About Me

Active within 510 Days

I am from Deerfield, OH and I've been a Club Horse member for 6 years, 2 months and 14 days

Nicknames: Sassafras In The Rain, Sassy Rain, Sass, Bad A$$ Sass

Age: 12 years old

Gender: Mare

Breed: Paint Horse

Height: 14.1 hands

Color: Chestnut Tobiano

Type of Riding: Because she is blind training takes much longer. She is broke now and we do go on trail rides together, but mostly we work on training.

My Horse's Achievements: Well basically the small things mean the most with her because she can't see anything, so everything from her trust for me to me being able to ride her! She might not be a champian show horse but she is perfect to me!

My Horse's Favorite Treat: Apples and Peppermint treats!

My Horse's Favorite Things To Do: Sassy's favorite thing to do is eat!

Pet Peeves: She hates when you come in the barn and dont say hi to her first! Also when you put her treats in the bucket and then the grain...she digs them out and throws her grain everywhere. She is such a brat! lol

My Horse's motto: Just keep on trotting!

My Horse Home:

Create/Edit Your Horse Stable

My Avatar:

Create/Edit Your Own Avatar

My Awards

How We Met

I noticed an elderly man down the road was having trouble caring for his blind 3 yr old mare, Sassy, so I asked him if i could help. He said 'yes'. After a couple months he asked if I would be interested in keeping Sassy. I, of course, said yes and ran down the road to start cleaning the barn up for the new addition to my family! I have had many horses over the years but never a special needs horse so some adjustments had to be made. But she fit right in and, of course, she has been spoiled ever since!


A Huge Thanks To Everyone That Voted For Sassy To Be Horse Of The Day! Yay!

Anyone that has visited this page before knows I am a huge HUGE Huge supporter of the Dr. Cooks bitless bridle! If ou or anyone you know if having trouble training a horse with your regular old school bits and bridles I strongly recommend trying a bitless bridle! It has helped Sassy overcome so much and all without a bit! Simply amazing! Truly a game changing product!

My Horse Stats

I've had 6931 friends visit me.

I'm the 37,430th member on

418 friends have voted for me since I joined Club Horse!

My Family Photos

More Photos
Roll over photos to view in frame.

My Horse Blog

I guess I will never complain about the cold, when the heat is this bad. 10 o'clock and horses have all ran into the shed. We brought all the round bales in this morning, Mike brought them in, and I just help make sure he is getting them straight. So while he is doing that, I moved most of the baby chicks, now about 3 weeks old into the chicken coop, there is a separate little room in there, for feed, but feed never gets into it, so nice place for chicks. They have out grown their large rabbit cage. At least there is a window to open.
Baby guineas, (keets) are hatching now, I can hear them inside the incubator. Have another batch due next Saturday. Wanted to take them to the next swap on the 30th, but that is our family reunion, (Mike's side) this time near Minneapolis, about 3-4 hours away. Most people are staying over night, but we have no one to check on critters, so we will just go for a bit and come home. Stay cool, sorry I did not read any one's comments to me, so will try to catch up later on any news.

Come visit me, Mistic, Willow & Whisper.

07/23/2016 08:39.51 AM Report This Comment
I guess I will never complain about the cold, when the heat is this bad. 10 o'clock and horses have all ran into the shed. We brought all the round bales in this morning, Mike brought them in, and I just help make sure he is getting them straight. So while he is doing that, I moved most of the baby chicks, now about 3 weeks old into the chicken coop, there is a separate little room in there, for feed, but feed never gets into it, so nice place for chicks. They have out grown their large rabbit cage. At least there is a window to open.
Baby guineas, (keets) are hatching now, I can hear them inside the incubator. Have another batch due next Saturday. Wanted to take them to the next swap on the 30th, but that is our family reunion, (Mike's side) this time near Minneapolis, about 3-4 hours away. Most people are staying over night, but we have no one to check on critters, so we will just go for a bit and come home. Stay cool, sorry I did not read any one's comments to me, so will try to catch up later on any news.

Come visit me, Mistic, Willow & Whisper.

07/23/2016 08:37.10 AM Report This Comment
A vote from Whisper, Willow and the little herd. Cloudy today and is suppose to rain. Can not get 3 nice days in a row to make hay, and since we do not have equipment have to have neighbors help. I finished the garden, at least of pulling 5 gallon buckets of weeds out. I have been eating beets and carrots already, plus things that grow fast like lettuce and radishes. Cucumbers, winter and summer squash, way too many tomatoes, since I had to replant about 16 of them, I now have close to 25 plants, many just come up by themselves, and I move them to a row, or a place where something did not grow. Dill is growing here and there, but I also plant it in flower beds, since butterflies like to lay their eggs on it. Potatoes are now have flowers. Flower beds mostly can take care of themselves, since they are "grow where you fall" type gardens. Lots of them about 17 small ones, and all around the house. I have no color theme, just what the butterflies and birds like. I have one corner of the house, where the water hose comes out, that I need to redo, since I had to dig it up, but this year, I just planted pumpkins there, to keep the weeds down.

Come visit me, Mistic, Willow & Whisper.

07/17/2016 08:27.17 AM Report This Comment
A Vote for You!!
Spent most of yesterday, in between the rain showers on my knees, not praying in church, but weeding the garden. Nearly caught up, still have the one row left between the potatoes and squash, planted another package of beets, because I have been picking nice size beets, and also carrots. The rabbits, Auroa, BB, and guinea pig, Raisin, said they are ready and taste great.Just North of us, road have been washed out, over 0 inches of rain, 3 people died. 30 some people, camping had to be rescued at a camping ground. Seen pictures, and its a messy. North of us is a big tourist area. I wish I had smaller gates to make little stalls, and a better way to clean them out. Right now, I have one big pen inside the shed, and a fenced in area under the lean-to part of the shed. So when I open back big door, it has a long 20 ft board up to keep ponies out of the small sq. bales of hay, and then the 2 side doors, its stays breeze and cooler inside, but also makes a messy with poop and being wet. So, I have been trying to see where I could bring Pickles in or outside the shed, daily to work with him, by himself, without all his little friends being in the way. I hope your weather clears up for you. We, too, have been getting rain, but I know enough not to complain. Nice yesterday, besides the rain, had around 70's.

Come visit me, Mistic, Willow & Whisper.

07/15/2016 05:20.24 AM Report This Comment
A Vote for You!!
I hope HC is not having issues again. Tried to send my E-Card, 3 times and kept getting that same error message. But here is a vote from Whisper, Willow and the little herd.

Come visit me, Mistic, Willow & Whisper.

07/14/2016 07:16.40 AM Report This Comment
Dropping off a thursday morning vote. Hope you're doing well and getting some horse time.

Come visit me, BJ and his mom Gracie & Allie.

07/14/2016 06:10.22 AM Report This Comment
A Vote for You!!
Things are always busy here, never seem to have enough time, to really finish most jobs. Trying to get weeds pulled from the garden, pulled 5 - 5gal bucket full, like just packed them in, for the pigs and guinea hens that have to stay in, because they do not listen very well....take after me, I guess. They like to go on the road, so I lock the hens in and let the 2 males out, and 1 in. Later, this evening after supper, I let them all out, but then I can be out weeding flower beds and keep a eye on them better. I ride Willow a bit each evening, and try to work with Pickles too. Too many little ones around to get any place with him. I have never seen a horse so afraid of hands, unless I start behind him. If he is tied, he is not bad, but out in the pen, its like always out of reach. He is not aggressive, and I can start at his but and work my way up to his head, or under his chin, as long as the hands are out of site. I wish he could talk to tell me what happened to him. Paisley is nothing like that at all.

Come visit me, Mistic, Willow & Whisper.

07/13/2016 08:15.00 AM Report This Comment
A Vote for You!!
Little pigs are getting very playful, I like to watch them play while I am trying to get caught up on weeding the garden. I am so surprised how much weeds grew in just a few days. Black sow only has 2, and white sow, 5. Last night Mother Nature put on a fireworks show. Nearly 2 inch of rain.
Been getting in short rides on Willow, Whisper is in heat, and I do not want her chasing Willow, because when she runs, is when she limps.

Come visit me, Mistic, Willow & Whisper.

07/12/2016 05:56.02 AM Report This Comment
Thanks for the vote, left one for you
Thanks for stopping by, good to hear from you, I'm glad you still have the girls. All is well here, I know what you mean about the bonding, Sterly has to know where Charlie is every minute of the day, she is losing her eyesight, so I think she depends on him. I worry about when I lose her, she is 33 now and Charlie will just have to manage on his own, because I won't be looking for another horse. Have a great weekend, Love Donna Lee

Come visit me, Sterl May & Blossom, Angel Royal Mes Apr 16/02-Dec 3/16 & Angel Sassy Mac Mar 8/95-Aug 8/07.

07/10/2016 02:32.06 AM Report This Comment
Congratulations on HOTD and a vote.

Come visit me, Mystic, Cisco, Angel Meg, Bo (RIP) and Jazz & Angel Nugget.

07/09/2016 02:01.05 PM Report This Comment
Here's a victory vote for you. :-)

Come visit me, Love Ruby Aramis, Sitka Tashunka Wakiya, Sir Angus Duncan the Mighty (RIP) & Nigel Livelytalk (RIP).

07/09/2016 12:44.41 PM Report This Comment
congratulations on Sassy's HOTD! do you still have her? she's a beautiful mare. i cant imagine owning a blind horse, that's amazing that you can ride her and even go on trail rides with her.
again, congrats and nice to meet you

Come visit me, BJ and his mom Gracie & Allie.

07/09/2016 07:15.45 AM Report This Comment
A Vote for You!!
It really is a different having a blind horse. My Cherokee, was blind, and would swept the ground with her nose, going back and forth, when she ran, or trotted, checking for object. Whisper, Willow, and the little herd are sending you a vote.

Come visit me, Mistic, Willow & Whisper.

07/09/2016 06:45.36 AM Report This Comment
Congratulations HOTD ♡
enjoy your special day in the spotlight :)

Come visit me, ♥ Deacon ♥.

07/09/2016 05:19.51 AM Report This Comment
****Congrats on HOTD****
I see you are back, good to see you, please drop by. We would love to hear an update, have you still got Sassy, and Tesla?
We left a vote today, talk soon, Donna Lee

Come visit me, Sterl May & Blossom, Angel Royal Mes Apr 16/02-Dec 3/16 & Angel Sassy Mac Mar 8/95-Aug 8/07.

07/09/2016 02:00.02 AM Report This Comment
Eft you a vote come visit us.

Come visit me, ~Payday Parlay PLS VOTE HOTM for APRIL~ & ~*Candy*~.

10/06/2015 10:43.49 AM Report This Comment
Yaaaay...finally got to ride two days in a row!! My husband rode Ace on Sunday and I rode on Monday and Tuesday. I was so excited and wanted to share with HC and I couldn't log on the past few days. What's up with that? Anyway I really enjoyed my rides. I posted six photos below (3 from each day). We are having some beautiful weather here, hope it holds out. Have a great weekend! Left votes all around.


09/18/2015 09:30.58 AM Report This Comment
on winning horse of the day! I'm sorry I'm so late. I haven't been online in awhile. I hope you had fun in the spotlight.

Here's a vote for you.

Come visit me, Eddie (In Loving Memory), Prince & Pippin (Gone too soon).

08/20/2015 12:27.06 AM Report This Comment
leaving a vote for you too :)

Come visit me, ♥ Deacon ♥.

08/10/2015 12:45.44 PM Report This Comment
Susie made August HOTM...yip yip hooray!! We will definitely celebrate with the herd. I told my husband Susie gets to do whatever she wants today because she is Queen. Thanks so much HC friends for all your votes and support. We could not have done it without you. Susie is happy to be your Top Horse for this month. I look forward to sharing more of Susie's escapades with our HC friends...because you know there will be more. lol


08/01/2015 09:02.28 AM Report This Comment
As you know, Susie survived all her tragic incidents and accidents. Through it all she has been a real trooper. She is the biggest horse in the pasture, but she allows the other horses to boss her around. She does anything you ask of her. She is such a sweet and playful mare. I call Susie my “million dollar” horse. One because of all the time, effort and expense we have invested in her, but the second and main reason is because nobody has enough money to buy Susie. She is worth the world to me. She has found her forever home. She will live here at our pasture for as long as she is alive and she will be laid to rest next to dear sweet Lollipop, when her time ends. She has touched my heart in a way that I can’t explain. I hope she has touched yours in some way through her story. The End.~~~~
Our HOTM run has come to an end. I have enjoyed sharing Susie’s story with you. Thanks to all my HC friends for your support. (Left a big thank you vote)


07/31/2015 01:52.40 AM Report This Comment
November 1st Susie is home and once again she is confined to the barn. We are having to change her bandages every 3 to 5 days. This is getting to be a task. Also having to clean out the barn everyday, with her many piles of manure and wet areas. lol Susie was getting bored being confined, away from the herd. So on November 16th, my husband decided to let Susie out of the barn and put her in a small pen area. Well you know Susie…she was not content to be outside, she wanted to be with the herd. So she tried to jump the fence and managed to get her leg caught in the square fencing. Yes, it was her left rear leg. We brought her in, doctored her leg and bandaged it up. She had completely messed up the grafting process. She remained in the barn another 10 days. At this point the wound had pretty much healed but the hair had not regrown. We knew that this was the best we could hope for, so we removed her bandage and set her free.


07/30/2015 12:43.18 PM Report This Comment
In answer to the question as to what caused the proliferative lesion, not really sure. Not sure why she got pythium and the other horses at the same pasture didn't. They did say that her immune system could have played a part. The birth of her foal could have weakened her immune system and made her more susceptible to diseases. After all of this we did put her on a supplement for her immune system called Tri-Mune.~~~

The grafting process consisted of taking punch grafts from Susie’s left side of her neck underneath her mane. They took a total of 22 punch grafts and implanted them into the wound bed. Her leg was bandaged and they would wait five days before the bandage could be removed. Susie remained at LSU until October 31st. Halloween day she retuned home after a total of 17 days. Now the fun begins! lol (A click on the horseshoe)


07/29/2015 12:39.13 PM Report This Comment
Almost at the end of our HOTM run...yay! Keep the votes coming and thank you.~~~

Susie was going to have to return to LSU to have skin grafts done. The wound would not completely heal without having the grafts done. They needed the wound to start healing first and then after it reached a certain point, they were going to implant the skin grafts into the wound. She returned to LSU on October 15th. However the wound bed was not ready for the grafting, so she stayed there and on October 22nd they preceded with the grafting process. (Voted)


07/28/2015 11:32.49 AM Report This Comment
The next day October 25th, a surgical excision of the lesion was done. Preliminary results were not consistent with pythium. However a culture was taken and sent off for testing. The initial diagnosis was an ulcerative and proliferative lesion on the lateral aspect of left rear pastern. After the surgery was done Susie remained at LSU for 9 days, where she was confined to a stall and her bandages changed every 3 days. She was sent home on October 2nd. We were told to keep her confined to her stall. However we separated the barn to give her two stalls and the middle isle, where we placed a round hay bale for her to eat. We also had to change her bandages every 3 days. This again was just like when she had her head wound. It is very difficult for someone, without any medical background, to apply these bandages. This bandage consisted of six steps (telfa pad, white cling gauze, cotton combine, brown gauze, vetwrap and elasticon). Try putting this on all while the horse is moving. lol Just lucky there were two of us working together. Susie seemed to be enjoying, once again being treated like a queen. Here's a vote.


07/27/2015 04:22.48 PM Report This Comment
I'm on late tonight, still on vacation so my schedule is all off. lol~~~~~

O.K. here comes Susie’s drama. It is October 24, 2012, only two months after Lollipop’s death. We bring Susie back to LSU. This time she has a lesion on her left rear pastern. We noticed it a couple of days before and decided this time we would go straight to LSU. We thought for sure that it was the pythium again, it looked just like the lesion on her head. We didn’t even bother to call a vet, we loaded her up and headed to LSU. We knew she would be in great hands. Left a vote.


07/26/2015 07:33.34 PM Report This Comment
Just want to say thanks again for all the support and the votes. Keep them coming! Just one more week to go! The story continues...

So what’s going on with Susie all this while…you ask. Don’t worry Susie is laying back just waiting to spring some more of her drama on us. As you can see never a dull moment around here. With a herd of horses, especially like mine, there is always something going on. There may not be a lot of riding activity going on, but there is a heck of a lot of every other activity going on here. lol (Another click on the horseshoe)


07/25/2015 07:53.11 AM Report This Comment
On late today had a spa day and lunch with my Mom and sisters. Very relaxing day. ~~~

On August 23rd Lollipop was euthanized, at the age of 24. This was a horrible day. I remember it well. Lollipop was my husband’s favorite horse. She was the best horse he’d ever had or would ever have. He loved her so much and still speaks of her fondly. He had called the vet and told him that he needed to have Lolli put down. They set up a time when he could come out. I went to work that morning, but told my supervisor that I would need to leave for a while that afternoon. Knowing the circumstances she of course said no problem. My husband called me when the vet was on his way. I got to the pasture and the rest of the horses were in their stalls. We led Lolli out to the pasture near where she would be buried. My husband said his goodbyes to his sweet mare and he left to go continue digging the hole. I held Lolli out in the pasture waiting for the vet to arrive. I spoke to her and comforted her all the while. I wanted to let her know that her baby Ace would be fine, that Susie would love and care for him. I told her that she would be going to a much better place, where she could run and play, and would no longer be in pain. Soon the vet arrived and with two quick injections, Lolli was gone and the tears came. My husband could not watch this happen but when it was over, he came and picked her up with the tractor and carried her to the hole he had dug. She is buried on our pasture where we can visit with her everyday. The herd of course mourned her for the next several days. They seemed lost without her, she was the Alpha mare. However Gypsy soon took over the herd and things got back to somewhat normal.

That was the third reason we decided to keep Ace. He was a part of Lollipop and we could keep her with us through him. RIP Lollipop.~~~~ Here's your vote.


07/24/2015 02:20.37 PM Report This Comment
It’s August 2012 now. Lollipop seemed to be having more and more trouble with her feet. We had been watching her pretty closely the past few months. She was laying down more in the pasture and for longer periods of time. We of course talked to the farrier about her, but he said since the coffin bone had already rotated, nothing could be done to stop it. There of course were options like certain type of horseshoes that would help with the pain. Early on we did buy her some boots to wear whenever we rode. We also had her on a herbal supplement , called herbal bute. This stuff really helped her. But we knew it was only a matter of time. She started having trouble coming into the barn to eat. We would have to go out to her in the pasture and feed her. This was hard to watch. My husband made the decision that something had to be done. (Left a vote)


07/23/2015 07:36.08 AM Report This Comment
Now let’s see…oh yes it is the year 2012. June 1st and Lollipop’s colt, Ace, is now one year old. He is a handsome little fellow and so good to. We never even had to wean this one. We tried once separating him by putting him in a little pen, but he jumped the fence to be with his mom. Lollipop pretty much weaned him herself. We just left them together in the pasture with the other horses. Ace was eating feed early on. Lollipop was pretty old at this point and she was slowing down. She was having trouble with her feet, she had foundered several years earlier and the coffin bone in her hoof had rotated. We still rode her on occasion but not often and not for long periods. We would soak her feet in buckets of water with apple cider vinegar and rub her legs with absorbine. She loved the pampering.


07/22/2015 07:24.18 AM Report This Comment
I’m sure you all know Ace…he has his own profile page!
Ace was really special to us for several reasons. First, because he was Lollipops foal, which was a miracle in itself. Second, because he was born on my husband’s birthday, June 1st. And there is a third reason…we will get to that one later. Ace was born at our new pasture in Charenton. We moved the herd to this pasture in the beginning of 2011. He was really smart and had a good disposition. Everyone said that he was a “keeper”. I said we definitely had to keep him because he was a birthday present to my husband from his special horse Lollipop.

So I guess by now you can see why we never made good on our deal , for that second breeding with Susie. We were having foals left and right. All my husband wanted was a little filly…but no such luck. We still talk about it every now and again, breeding Susie. I am not sure I want to put her through that again. We will see how things go. I’m also not sure that we want to raise another foal. We are getting to old to handle those young ones. Who knows it may happen… one day! (A click on the horseshoe)


07/21/2015 08:39.02 AM Report This Comment
Now it is the following year 2011. Lollipop gives birth to her foal on June 1, 2011. This means that we have had four foals, one each year for the last four years! All of them colts! Lucky, Dusty, Kicka and now Ace. We were not sure how Lollipop would make out with having a baby. She was so old and we weren’t sure if she had ever had any babies before. However she did great. She had her colt during the night or early morning on June 1st. The colt was standing by her in the pasture when we got there. Although Lolli was not a very good mother. She did not want to let her foal drink milk. At times we would have to hold or tie her so the foal could drink. She wasn’t very protective of it either. We thought maybe it was because she was so old and possibly because she had never had any other foals. Here's your vote.


07/20/2015 08:31.16 AM Report This Comment
So what could possibly happen next, you ask? Well let’s recap for a moment. Our new mare we bought, Gypsy, that was pregnant, had her colt in 2008. Susie was bred in 2008 and had her colt in 2009. Gypsy was “accidentally” bred in 2009 and had her colt in 2010. So now what happens, our dear sweet Lollipop gets bred, by that same stud that broke through our pasture fence and knocked up Gypsy! Yes Lollipop was bred on June 20, 2010. The stud still in the pasture, ran out through the same opening he got in through, when he saw my husband coming. lol

So we had a new little colt that we had to deal with. Lucky was just two years old and we were just getting him gelded and sent off to the trainer to be broke. We didn’t feel like we wanted to go through this same thing again so soon. One young one was enough to handle. And now with Lollipop expecting, we decided to sell Kicka to the guy we were leasing our pasture with at the time. So we sold him in October 2010, but still got to see and play with him daily. This way it was easy to wean him from Gypsy too. We were able to separate them in the different pastures we had there. So this was a win, win for all involved. (Left a vote)


07/19/2015 09:47.16 AM Report This Comment
Well while I was so involved with talking about Susie’s new foal and then with her surgery and all…I forgot to mention that our mare Gypsy managed to get herself bred. Yep Susie had Dusty in April 2009 and in May 2009, Gypsy was bred by a stud that broke through our pasture fence. We know this because the stud was still in our pasture when my husband got there. So here we go again. Gypsy had her foal on May 6, 2010. This was Gypsy’s second foal ( she is the one that had Lucky, who at the time was now 2 yrs. old). She had another colt and we named him Kicka. Kicka was a playful little thing. He loved to run around and kick all the time. That is how he got his name. (Here's your vote.)


07/18/2015 09:48.31 AM Report This Comment
Yes I am thrilled this chapter ended so well! We are a couple days past the half way mark in this HOTM run. But don't worry with a horse like Susie...there is still more drama to come. lol ~~~~

After Susie returned home and things settled down, we went to visit Dusty. He was 5 months old now. He had adjusted well at the breeders. The first time he saw me again, I felt like he remembered me. We visited him on several occasions. He grew up to be a handsome stallion. He looked a lot like Susie, only more like a Palomino. The breeder ended up selling him to another guy we knew. He took Dusty to Mexico to live. They changed his name to Tesoro. He is still a stud used for breeding. We kept in touch with the new owner for a while. Tesoro had one foal that we know about, we received some pictures. Our little Dusty would be six years old now. I posted some of the last pics we received. (Another click on the horseshoe)


07/17/2015 09:53.12 AM Report This Comment
Susie remained at LSU to begin her healing and to start the immunotherapy injections to prevent any recurrence. She received the first injection on July 31st and then a second injection on August 7th. Both injections had no adverse reactions. We continued to visit Susie as often as possible. She made great progress. We would get to take her out for walks and spend time with her in an outdoor paddock. She seemed to enjoy her time with the students at LSU and they really loved her too. After 19 days at LSU she was able to return home on August 10th. This was truly a happy day for me! We had to change her bandage every two days and monitor her wound. She still had one more immunotherapy injection to take and had to return to LSU for checkups. We could not have been more pleased with the outcome. Her wound completely healed with only a small scar remaining. She also had some nerve damage to her left eye. She cannot blink her eyelid. This is not a problem since horses have a inner covering that closes when necessary. Susie’s last visit to LSU was on September 14th. We were very pleased with the staff and the care Susie received at LSU. (Votes all around)


07/16/2015 08:56.33 AM Report This Comment
We returned to LSU on July 28th for Susie’s surgery. We got to visit with Susie before her surgery. She seemed to be doing well. They explained what would take place during the surgery. We of course waited for any word and prayed for a good outcome. This was an all day affair. The surgery was suppose to take place early morning and was delayed a bit. We ate lunch at the cafeteria in the college. We finally received word that the surgery was complete and there were no complications and she recovered well from anesthesia. We were certainly relieved to hear this. We waited for her to be brought back to her stall before we could see her. We visited with her in her stall and I was so happy to see her . They then came in to remove the temporary bandage from her wound and put another bandage on for the night. When they showed us Susie’s wound…I was in complete shock. I had no idea that they would have to remove so much of the flesh. The vet explained that it was fine and that it would heal very quickly. Now the healing begins... (Here's your vote.)


07/15/2015 11:04.16 AM Report This Comment
The next morning we loaded Susie in the trailer and hauled her to LSU. Once there the Veterinarian examined Susie and then came to talk to us. He agreed that what Susie had was Pythium but they would of course send a culture off for testing. He said that they had a doctor there that specialized in this area. We were glad to hear that. He also said that Susie had a 50-50 chance of surviving. So we of course agreed to have the surgery done. The surgery was scheduled for July 28th. However Susie remained at LSU where they continued to evaluate her. She was in a depressed state when we brought her in. We told them how she had just given birth and that we had taken her colt away. They said that was certainly the reason for her depression. They had to give her something to help dry up her milk, since she had no foal to nurse. We left that day and didn’t return till the day of her surgery. We received a daily report on Susie from the person that was caring for her at the time. (A click on the horseshoe)


07/14/2015 07:51.00 AM Report This Comment
We were so worried and concerned about Susie, we didn’t know what we were going to do. We knew that she was going to have surgery and would be there for a long period of time…if she survived the surgery at all. We didn’t know what we were going to do with her colt. Dusty had not even been weaned yet. We had to bring Susie the next day. My husband called up the breeder and told him the situation and asked him to come take Dusty. He brought his trailer and we helped load Dusty and he drove away. The deal was he would keep Dusty and we would get another breeding. This was a terrible day for all of us. Susie and her colt being separated for the first time. We had to listen to them whinny back and forth. It was heartbreaking. I cried for them both. (Votes left all around)


07/13/2015 08:19.57 AM Report This Comment
On July 3, 2009, almost three months after Susie gave birth, she developed a head wound above her left eye. We called the vet out and he diagnosed it as a spider bite. He prescribed penicillin and hydrocortisone shots. The wound continued to get bigger and bigger. We would doctor it and bandage it everyday. We contacted the vet again. He had us come to the office to pick up more medication. The wound continued to get larger. Finally we contacted another vet that came out on July 22nd. He diagnosed the wound as Pythium (pythiosis) or as the old timers called it swamp cancer. This is a flesh eating fungus that would eat its way clear to the bone, if not removed. We were told that we would have to bring her to LSU, a university in Baton Rouge for treatment. (Left a vote.)


07/12/2015 07:39.38 AM Report This Comment
Page: 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Top Products
Close X